Last Updated on
In this post, we show you how to easily search for available business names in Texas using a free entity search tool provided by the State of Texas.
Before you file the required documents for your new LLC, you will need to do an LLC name search first to check the name’s availability. You should make sure that the name that you are considering is unique and different from other LLCs operating within the state.
Give Your New Business Entity a Name
When you name something, you get attached to it. Naming your soon to be business can only spur your decision forward. Backing out on the idea will be less of an option.
When forming a company, you and your co-founders need to brainstorm and decide on a few things, such as your business name. Before contacting the good folks at ZenBusiness or Incfile, you need to:
- Come up with a name that hasn’t been used before. Visit the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts website and enter the business name in the “Taxable Entity Search” database.
- That name, even if unique or derivative, shouldn’t sound like an existing one as the Texas Secretary of State would reject it.
- Ensure that the name does not violate any Texas State Law
- You can also call the State Business Information Line at 512-463-5555 and ask them to do a business name search.
- For FAQs and more info, visit: Texas Secretary of State FAQ
How To Do A Texas Business Name Search
Visit the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts website and enter the business name that you are thinking about using into the “Entity Name” section of the “Taxable Entity Search” database. When searching for names in Texas,
- Don’t enter LLC after the name or variations (LLC, L.L.C., etc) while doing searches.
- Search for both the plural and singular versions of names. For example, if your LLC name has the word “Publishers” in it, also do a search with “Publisher.”
- Search the first 1-2 words of your LLC name. For example, if your desired LLC name is “Dallas Electrician Service LLC,” do a search for “Dallas Electrician”.
- The point is to check for any potential name conflicts and to come up with a unique LLC name.
Texas Comptroller Of Public Accounts
Taxable Entity Search in Texas
In the above image, “Entity Name” is blank.
For example, we entered the name “Texas Publishing” in the image above.
The results returned four different business names. Click on “Details” for more info on these businesses.
It’s important to note that even when a given business appears to be available, the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts will do their own search to confirm availability. There could be name variations or abbreviations that could be a conflict.
That’s how you can search for a business name in Texas. Comptroller of Public Accounts will make the final determination on a business name’s availability.
Have you Found a Good Name But Not Ready Start Your Business?
Prevent others from registering your name for $50. A service from ZenBusiness.
Top 3 Best LLC Filing Services
Disclaimer – This website does not provide tax or legal advice. It is for general informational purposes only. The business formation services mentioned on our website are Document Filing Services and CANNOT provide you with legal or financial advice. It is presented with the understanding that these Document Filing Services ARE NOT engaged in rendering legal and/or accounting services. If you need legal or tax advice, please consult with a competent attorney and/or accountant. Features, pricing, and service options on our website are subject to change without notice.