This post shows you how to easily search for available business names in Arizona using the state’s free entity search tool.
Before you file the required documents for your new LLC, you will need to do an LLC name search first to check the name’s availability. You should make sure that the name you consider is unique and different from other LLCs operating within the state.
Arizona’s Free Business Name Search Tool
You can research a business entity’s name and availability in Arizona’s online database.
If your business is an LLC, there are some requirements to be aware of before searching. As for name requirements, your LLC name must end with either the abbreviations LLC, L.L.C., or the words Limited Liability Company. Most people choose LLC.
Visit the Arizona Business Entity Search page.
Save Time With An LLC Service
LLC Filing, Formation, EIN (Tax ID), Operating Agreement, One-Year Registered Agent, Compliance Reminders, Express Shipping
Incfile $149 + state fee
Find Your State’s Filing Fee
Step #1 Visit Incfile
Step #2 Click ‘Incorporate Now’ or ‘Launch My Business’
Step #3 Select “Entity Type” & ‘State of Formation’
Results ‘Gold Plan’ $149
This example,$50 State Fee for Arkansas
The state determines state fees. Some are $45, $100, $300+
The name must be distinguishable and clearly unique. For example, if there is a business entity named ABC Plumbers, Inc., ABC Plumbers, LLC would not be available. The name ABC Plumbers & Contractors, LLC would have a better chance of getting approved. The final determination of a name’s availability is the State where the name is attempting to be registered.
Giving Your New Business a Name
When you name something, you get attached to it. Naming your soon-to-be business can only spur your decision forward. Backing out on the idea will be less of an option.
When forming a company, you and your co-founders need to brainstorm and decide on a few things, such as your business name.
There are three main ways to form a new business entity.
- Do it yourself
- Hire an attorney to do it for you
- Hire an LLC filing service like ZenBusiness or Incfile
- Come up with a name that hasn’t been used before. Visit the Arizona Secretary of State website and enter the business name in the Business Name Search database.
- Even if unique or derivative, that name shouldn’t sound like an existing one as the Arizona Corporate Commission would reject it.
- Ensure that the name does not violate any Arizona state law.
- You can try calling the State Business Information Line at 602-542-3026 and ask them some business name-related questions you might have.
- For more info, visit the Arizona Corporate Commission website.
How To Do A Arizona Business Name Search
Visit the Arizona Business Entity Search page.
In the “Entity Name” search box, enter the name that you want to check, without LLC or Inc at the end, and then search. When searching for names in Arizona, remember,
- Don’t enter LLC after the name or variations (LLC, L.L.C., etc.) while doing searches.
- Search for both the plural and singular versions of names. For example, if your LLC name has the word “Publishers” in it, also search with “Publisher.”
- Search the first 1-2 words of your LLC name at first. For example, if your desired LLC name is “Phoenix Electrician Service LLC,” search for “Phoenix Electrician” and continue searching with some variations.
- The point is to check for any potential name conflicts and develop a unique business name.
Searching the Arizona database could take a bit of time. Still, with a few searches, you should get a pretty good idea about the business name’s availability that you are interested in registering.
It’s important to note that even when a given business appears to be available, the Arizona Corporate Commission will do its own search to confirm availability. There could be name variations or abbreviations that could cause a conflict.
That’s how you can search for a business name in Arizona. Again, the Arizona Corporate Commission will make the final determination on a business name’s availability.
Arizona Corporate Commission
1300 W Washington St
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Need To Save Time?
LLC Formation & One-Year Registered Agent Services!
Editor’s Top Pick!
Incfile $149 (+ state fee)
Have you Found a Good Name But Not Ready to Start Your Business?
Get Your Business Name Reserved!
Prevent others from registering your name for $50 — a service from ZenBusiness.
Disclaimer – This website does not provide tax or legal advice. It is for general informational purposes only. The business formation services mentioned on our website are Document Filing Services and CANNOT provide you with legal or financial advice. It is presented with the understanding that these Document Filing Services ARE NOT engaged in rendering legal and/or accounting services. If you need legal or tax advice, please consult with a competent attorney and/or accountant. Features, pricing, and service options on our website are subject to change without notice.