Last Updated on
In this post, we show you how to easily search for available business names in Delaware using a free entity search tool provided by the state.
Before you file the required documents for your new LLC, you will need to do an LLC name search first to check the name’s availability. You should make sure that the name that you are considering is unique and different from other LLCs operating within the state.
You can research a business entity name and availability in the State’s online database.
If your business will be an LLC, there are some requirements to be aware of before searching. As for name requirements, most states say your LLC name can end with the abbreviations LLC, L.L.C., or the words Limited Liability Company. Each state has its own requirements and guidelines. Most people choose LLC.
The name must be distinguishable and clearly unique. For example, if there is a business entity named ABC Plumbers, Inc., the name ABC Plumbers, LLC would not be available. The name ABC Plumbers & Contractors, LLC would have a better chance of getting approved. The final determination of a name’s availability is the State where the name is attempting to be registered.
Giving Your New Business a Name
When you name something, you get attached to it. Naming your soon to be business can only spur your decision forward. Backing out on the idea will be less of an option.
When forming a company, you and your co-founders need to brainstorm and decide on a few things, such as your business name. Before contacting the folks at ZenBusiness or Incfile, you need to:
- Come up with a name that hasn’t been used before. Visit the Delaware Div. of Corporations website and enter the business name in the Name Availability Search database.
- That name, even if unique or derivative, shouldn’t sound like an existing one as the Delaware Div. of Corporations would reject it.
- Ensure that the name does not violate any Delaware State Law.
- You can also call the State Business Information Line at 302-739-3073 and ask them to do a business name search.
- For more info, visit the Delaware Division of Corporations website.
How To Do A Delaware Business Name Search
Visit the Delaware Name Availability Search page https://icis.corp.delaware.gov/Ecorp/NameReserv/NameReservation.aspx
Check the disclaimer box, enter the “Entity Kind”, for “Entity Ending” if you are searching for a corporation the most common ending is “Inc.” for “Limited Liability Company” the most common ending is LLC. Enter the name that you want to check, without LLC or Inc at the end and then search. When searching for names in Delaware remember,
- Don’t enter LLC after the name or variations (LLC, L.L.C., etc) while doing searches.
- Search for both the plural and singular versions of names. For example, if your LLC name has the word “Publishers” in it, also do a search with “Publisher”.
- Search the first 1-2 words of your LLC name at first. For example, if your desired LLC name is “Delaware Electrician Service LLC”, do a search for “Delaware Electrician” and continue searching with some variations.
- The point is to check for any potential name conflicts and to come up with a unique LLC name.
Searching the Delaware database could take a bit of time but with a few searches, you should get a pretty good idea about the availability of the business name that you are interested in registering.
It’s important to note that even when a given business appears to be available, the Delaware Division of Corporations will do their own search to confirm availability. There could be name variations or abbreviations that could cause a conflict.
That’s how you can search for a business name in Delaware. Again, the DE Div. of Corporations office will make the final determination on a business name’s availability.
Delaware Division of Corporations
DE Division of Corporations
401 Federal Street, Suite 4
Dover, DE 19901
DE Division of Corporations
8:00am to 4:30pm, M-F
Need To Save Time?
Hire a professional filing service to form your business. Prices start around $49. depending on the features you want.
Editor’s Choice 2020!https://zenbusiness.com
Top 3 Best LLC Filing Services
Have you Found a Good Name But Not Ready Start Your Business?
Prevent others from registering your name for $50. A service from ZenBusiness.
Disclaimer – This website does not provide tax or legal advice. It is for general informational purposes only. The business formation services mentioned on our website are Document Filing Services and CANNOT provide you with legal or financial advice. It is presented with the understanding that these Document Filing Services ARE NOT engaged in rendering legal and/or accounting services. If you need legal or tax advice, please consult with a competent attorney and/or accountant. Features, pricing, and service options on our website are subject to change without notice.